Geranium essential oil is derived by steam distillation of the leaves of Pelargonium graveolens, a plant species native to South Africa. Geranium oil is grown in many regions, including Europe and Asia. There are many varieties and strains of this pink flower with a fresh, floral fragrance. Each variety differs in scent, but is near-identical in terms of composition, benefits, and uses.
Geranium oil is widely used as an ingredient in perfumes and cosmetics and is an active ingredient in aromatherapy.
Aroma: Its aroma is characterised by a blend of sweet, rosy, and slightly citrusy notes, with green and earthy scent.
Balancing: Its often used to help balance both the mind and body. It can be emotionally uplifting while also promoting a sense of calm and equilibrium.
Skincare: It may help regulate oil production, support healthy skin, and address various skin issues, such as acne, irritation, and dryness.
Anti-inflammatory: Geranium oil possesses anti-inflammatory properties that may provide relief from conditions like skin redness and inflammation.
Astringent: It can help tighten and tone the skin, making it a valuable ingredient in natural beauty products.
Aromatherapy: Used in diffusers or added to massage oils and bath products. Its pleasant scent promotes relaxation, reduce stress, and uplift the mood. It's also used to create a soothing atmosphere in the home.
DIRECTIONS FOR USE
- Rub 2 to 4 drops directly to the skin and temples for reducing anxiety and depression.
- Add a few drops to a carrier oil on scar tissue and marks caused by skin irritation
- Rub a few drops onto wrist or the nape of the neck as personal fragrance.
- Add a few drops with your hair conditioner for reducing dryness and dandruff. You can also include it in DIY hair mask to nourish your hair and scalp.
- During facial routine, add one to two drops to facial mask to moisturiser for youthful skin.
- Mix 15 to 20 drops of Geranium oil to 1 tablespoon Epsom salts to massage into your skin as exfoliant or facial wash.
- For facial steam, use 1 or 2 drops of Geranium oil in water.
- Add 10 to 15 drops in bathtub for skin repair benefits.
- Add 1-2 drops on your pillow and bedding for sleep support and fragrant relaxing mood.
- Use 4-5 drops in your diffuser.
- For room air freshener, add 10 to 15 drops to water into a spray bottle.
AS FOOD FLAVOUR
- To flavour water, add 1-2 drop in one litre of water. Add a drop to your green tea for elevating mood.
- Essential oils are generally considered safe for topical and aromatic use when properly diluted with a carrier oil.
- Perform a patch test on your skin to ensure there are no adverse reactions.
- These natural essential oils are used primarily for their healing properties, their subtle aroma is a bonus, not the only pursuit.
- It will take some time for natural oils to start rewarding your skin.
- It is advisable to mix essential oil with carrier oils for sensitive skin.
- It is also recommended to avoid contact with eyes, ears and others sensitive parts of the body.
- Consult with your GP or healthcare professional before using it if you are pregnant, nursing, or have pre-existing medical conditions.